Thursday, November 3, 2011

My Car Search Experience

I had no idea how exhausting it can be to buy a new car, that is if you do your research.  My husband and I went to look at cars for the 1st time 2 weeks ago.  We found one we liked but we weren't going to buy the 1st one we saw.  Besides I wanted to clean my car up and see what I could get for a trade-in.  Although my car is a 2001, it is a Mustang convertible in black and perfect condition.  It still runs great!  Honestly, I hate to part with her, she's been very good to me.  So anyway, I started contacting dealerships close by our home trying to find what we were looking for and trying to get quotes.  So I spent a week on this going back and forth comparing cars and deals.  I made another appointment to visit a dealership, drive another car and see what they'd offer for the trade-in.

I am a very bottom line type of gal, I walked in told the salesman- #1 I am going to buy this car, whether it's from you or someone else I really don't care- I just want the best deal.  #2- I'm paying cash, #3- I am going to trade-in my car and want the best deal for that, #4- we will be buying a 2nd car next year so keep that in mind when making me a deal.  So I laid all my cards on the table.  So he was nice enough but knew NOTHING about the car, in fact I knew more about it and that frustrated me.  He kept telling me he'd have to look it up, well shoot I can look it up, what do I need you for?

So I spent over an hour test driving and talking numbers- so he finally says let's see what we can give you for your car.  He came back and gave me a number that was so insulting I couldn't even believe it.  Then he told me I should take my car to Carmax.  Really?  I'm doing a deal with you not Carmax.  So I thanked him for his time and left.

I was so angry that they totally insulted me, I would have rather had them come back to me and say I don't think we can make you an offer.  So needless to say I did not buy a car from them.  In fact I sent them an email and copied the owner/manager of the dealership and let them know why I wasn't buying a car from them.  Not only did their salesman that said he'd been there for 15 yrs, said this vehicle is their most sold vehicle and said he owned one himself knew NOTHING about the vehicle, but they insulted me on top of that.  I got not 1, not 2, but 6 phone calls from the dealership.  One call from the Owner but I decided to be done with them, I had spoken my piece, oh and I told them to prove that I was a serious buyer I had already secured a car at another dealership.

So we ended up going back to the 1st dealership and getting a great deal for a great car.  So I've been driving it for 3 days and I love it!!!!  But it sure was alot of work to get here :)  Certainly not looking forward to going through that again anytime soon!

4 comments:

  1. WHAT A WIPE!!! Nothing like a salesperson that doesnt know anything about their product!! So sorry you had to deal with that! So frustrating... Did you end up getting your Ford Escape? or something different?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We did get the Ford Escape I'll post a picture soon! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see a picture =) I've never met a car salesman that didn't know his product. Wow. Glad you got a great deal! P.S...I'm enjoying your blog! =)

    ReplyDelete